VF-11 "Red Rippers"
On 15 February 1959, the first squadron known as VF-11 "Red Rippers" was disestablished. The following day, VF-43 was redesignated VF-11 and decided to adopt the traditions and insignia of the Red Rippers, albeit without claiming lineage. VF-43 had been operating the F8U-1 since April 1958.
On board USS Roosevelt (CV-42), the Red Rippers assisted in quelling the unrest in the Dominican Republic in 1961.
On 8 Feb 1962, the unit was the first operational squadron to receive the all-weather F8U-2NE.
In January 1966, the squadron exchanged its F-8Es for older F-8Ds, in anticipation of a transition to the F-4 Phantom II. In the fall of 1966, the squadron moved to NAS Oceana and began its training on the new aircraft.
The squadron received F-14 Tomcats in 1980 and now flies the F/A-18 Hornet.
Crusader models used: